Testers on agile projects have to often deal with multiple tasks in an iteraton.
- They have to support the stories in developement. (Talking to devs and BAS)
- They ideal prepare acceptance tests for the next iterations.
- Also, they need to do exploratory testing around the stories which comes through development
- Deal with defects as part of the exploratory testing.
- Automation testing.
At times it becomes challenging to priotise day to day activities. How do I decide, what sould I work on?
Few things which can make decision taking more practical and easy
- Always think what you want to achieve end of the day, that often helps in prortising work.
- Given you have few tasks at one time, which task is going to add more value for your customer? Viz If a really important story for business needs to start next sprint, you better have to prepare for that instead doing exploratory testing at that point in time.
- Make sure your tasks are small and estimable even if you dont estimate testing tasks in the sprint planning, This would help you plan your day better.
- Have a small planning board your sake (even if its in your note book)
- Write down the things you want to do, often people forget small tasks.
- If you have to leave a task undone (You may have to move between tasks based on need), make sure you make a note of it and come back to it soonish, as you may have to start all over again if you resume the task after a gap.
- Make sure your story wall shows real progress of QA work (New stories, sign off, Defects on stories) , as this would help you planing the activities.